Friday, May 28, 2010

Shock.

That's an understatement.

I have a habit of writing myself off. Sure, people can tell me how good I am at something or that I should do such and such... but I have a tendency to talk myself out of it. This is why I have to actually sign up for races way ahead of time, so that I don't talk myself out of it. It happens.

This is 10. The year that I stop writing myself off and realize that I am good at many things. I inspired 2 of my friends to join the gym and both are now working out regularly. My sister started running again. I convinced another friend of mine that she was completely capable of doing a triathlon and she is now training for her first. I am a motivator. I try to make people see that it's not about waiting until they are the right size to do amazing things. Cause really people, it's not. Why wait? What if you never get to a certain size? Then, you would have passed up all of those opportunities to show yourself and the world what you're really made of.

The reason I write this is because I have some news. I.. yes, me... am now a CYCLE INSTRUCTOR!! Aaaahhh!! I can't believe it. I've wanted to become an instructor for more than a year now, but never really thought it would happen because...hey, gyms are corporations and all about image and I do NOT look like a typical instructor. Sure, I have the endurance and proper form and the strength... more so than a lot of the people that come into cycle class. But, about a year ago I tried to become an instructor and wasn't even given a chance. It happens. I wrote myself off and didn't press the issue any further. About 2 weeks ago, I learned that there were several openings for cycle instructors at my gym. Unfortunately, one of these openings was from my most favoritist cycle instructor Wendy, who is leaving to open her very own competitive cycle gym. Yay for her!! Boo for me!! Well, Wendy has always been very encouraging and told me point blank that I was the best candidate and if my gym didn't give me a chance to show them what I'm made of, she would get me in at 24hr. Whoa! I got the info for the aerobics coordinator and made the call. And then I waited. I called her back and had a 'not so encouraging' conversation with her and was thisclose to cancelling my audition. I got a cold. But last night, I went to my audition. I did my best. I figured that was all I could do, my best. If I didn't get it, there would surely be opportunities for me in the future. It went really well. I was hired on the spot. Crazy! She even asked if I could teach the class tonight at 5:30... but then found that a sub had already been found. So, there you have it. I am a cycle instructor. My first class is next friday. Aaaahhhh!! I am so excited. I can't wait to make people want to puke from working so hard. Hahaha.

Moral of my story... don't write yourself off. The only one holding you back from becoming everything you want to be is yourself. This is 10 people. In the words of my fav. Bob, "stand up and finish what you started."

No comments:

Post a Comment