Thursday, November 11, 2010

Going back to what works... for me.

There are a lot of things I know. There are a lot of things I don't know. For instance, I know that I cannot work-out my way thin. It's just not possible, I know because I've tried. 80% food/20% exercise is completely true (darn trainers know everything). I know that I cannot starve myself thin. I know this because I just did 2 weeks on some ridiculous diet that was virtually vegetables and protein shakes (blech!!). Sure, I lost 17 lbs., but here I am 2 weeks later and 10 of those stupid lbs. are back. I know that my weight is a battle I will struggle with for the rest of my life. There is really no getting around that. My 78 year old grandma lost 100 lbs. last year (by eating 1000 calories or less a day). It was the 3rd time in her life she's lost 100 lbs. I know that I don't want to keep losing the same weight again and again and wake up at 77 years old and decide that's when I'm going to make it work. No no no. I know that I've been wasting time deciding how I'm going to eat (all while stuffing my face with all the things I shouldn't be eating). I don't know why. I don't know why I treat junk food better than I treat friends. Sure, it's always been there for me... but it's like a toxic friend. One who is around just to cut you down and make you feel terrible about yourself so they can feel better. Well, I do know this. It has to end. Now. I'm going back. Back to Weight Watchers. Sure, there are people out there who don't agree with it or can't seem to make it work for them long term. I'm not one of those people. I've lost a very large portion of those 127 lbs. on WW and I know it works. I know that when I'm following WW, I don't feel deprived and I certainly don't feel guilty working one of my indulgences (like a beer or glass of wine) into my day. I know that there are 1,000's of people who have made WW work for them for life. I am going to be one of those people. No more starving myself or floundering around in mediocrity. No, no. This is where the road gets rough, but where I roll up my sleeves and get dirty dirty (in the good way).

2 comments:

  1. I have lost about 160 lbs over the past three years.

    For me its hugely about exercise, because that influences me to pick better fuel choices for food. I eat about 1200 cal one day a week, 2100 calories one day a week and between 1500 to 1800 5 days a week. I add this to exercise and its a perfect sustainable weight loss program for me personally loosing 6lbs a month on average... if I do not exercise much it is keeping me in maintenance mode.

    When I did 1200 cal a day I stopped loosing weight all together...when I added some on some days I started to loose again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I support WW wholeheartedly. Hell I grew up on it and now I can maintain a weight without even thinking about it because I can pick up anything on a shelf and know how many points it is. There is some beauty in just knowing the drill so you can focus on your exercise regime and not feel guilty for having a cookie. (BTW the 100 Calorie Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies are a gift from the WW Gods).

    The other fun thing about WW is the cooking! So many recipes, so many books. So many things to try out. Makes it an adventure rather than a chore.

    You got this on lock down LeeAnn, and I'll have to teach you about the diet coke cake some day ;)

    ReplyDelete