Friday, May 6, 2011

What is cheating?

I missed my weigh in (again) last week. Ok, truthfully, I skipped it. I felt like it was going to be a bad one, so I didn't go. That is one habit I really need to break. This journey is all about ups and downs. Some days, some weeks and even some months are a let-down. I can't skip a weigh in just because I think it's not going to be good. I just can't. Last night I forced myself to go. After two weeks of drinking too much wine, working out less and slipping back into some old habits (read: even if mexican food is one of my favorites, dumping a 2 cup bag of cheese on everything is NOT good for my ass), I expected a no loss or gain. I felt bloaty and gross going into the office. I was honest. I told him that I drank too much, ate too much and was a little too nonchalant about everything. Shrugging it off, he told me to get on the scale and when I saw the number I got giddy. Why my body reacts to things the way it does is beyond me. I can be so on point with my eating and work outs and not lose a single pound, but then I slack a little with the eating... work out a few times less and still manage to lose 3 pounds in 2 weeks. I know it's not a 'biggest loser' number, but this is reality. Working full time, being a wife and a mom, taking care of a household, teaching 3+ cycle classes a week and still managing to lose weight makes me proud of what I've accomplished. So here's this weeks results:

total lost in 11 weeks: 32 lbs. (total since starting at doc office is 38!!)
total fat % lost: 17% (boom. another 3% gone!)
lean muscle gain: 5 lbs.

And here lies my question... what defines cheating in weight loss? Life happens. Things happen. Should I feel guilty because of it? Should I make my relationship with food positive only when I've eaten what I THINK I should? To me, the answer is no. It's not black or white with weight loss. Our bodies adapt to our eating patterns. I'm guessing that my body needed to have this little shake up and variance in caloric intake and exercise so that it gets out of whatever rut it was heading towards. Don't worry, I drank a couple margaritas last night and had my tacos for cinco de mayo, but I woke up this morning energetic and with my eye on the prize again. Life happens... and it will continue to happen. It's making the most of it that is most important.

Side note: I put the santa picture on the fridge. I'd say that it's a fitting place to remind me of where I've been, but also of where I'd like to never go again.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I felt the same way a couple weeks ago (when I knew it would be a gain), but I still went to Weight Watchers and weighed in. I was up 2.4, but my leader (whom I love), gave me a bravo for coming in and facing the scale. :) And the week I lost 3.4, I was shocked since I didn't do much!

    You are a true inspiration! I'd love to get coffee and chat! I'd like to hear your tips & tricks. It sounds like you and I have similar habits and ways to rationalizing those behaviors. Shoot me a note of FB and let's get together!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete